NEW: Check out our resource page on Policing in the Global South!
The Crime Reduction and Police Accountability research area focuses on promoting citizen security and reducing crime while curbing abuses of power by state-backed law enforcement agents and the criminal justice system in countries around the world. This research area will study innovations in police and criminal justice reform, incorporating state and non-state actors in promoting security, and inclusive governance arrangements for public safety. The research area builds on EGAP’s four year (2016-2020) Metaketa round on community based policing. Potential new areas of research focus include:
- accountability mechanisms to promote good police behavior;
- Interventions to reform the criminal justice system;
- changes in recruitment, training and counseling of officers and law enforcement officials;
- new law enforcement and citizen engagement strategies;
- structural reforms to law enforcement agencies;
- social crime prevention strategies.