- the role of political conditions in enabling or preventing effective societal responses to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- the way the COVID-19 pandemic, and its associated economic, social, and psychological stresses, is affecting different dimensions of elections around the globe.
Grant Size and Eligibility
- EGAP will award up to USD 10,000 to successful proposals and expects to select around 10 award winners. Level of funding will be determined by the amount requested, the justification given in the budget narrative, and the experience of the applicant, based on the following schedule:
- Up to USD 10,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and are currently enrolled in a PhD program or in possession of a PhD and/or have prior experience leading research projects with similar levels of funding (please highlight relevant experience in your CV).
- Up to USD 5,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and have completed a Master’s degree but are not currently enrolled in a PhD program or in possession of a PhD and have limited prior experience in leading research projects.
- Up to USD 2,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and are currently pursuing a Master’s degree.
- Funding can be used to support the investigators’ time, travel and lodging associated with field research, research assistance, phone survey implementation costs, data purchase or storage, and other reasonable field research expenses.
- Eligibility is restricted to Global South scholars. This refers to individuals who (a) currently hold a PhD and are employed or at a university or research institute in the Global South; (b) currently study at the doctoral level at a university or research institute in the Global South; or (c) received an undergraduate or graduate university degree from a Global South university and are currently a graduate student, postdoc, or faculty elsewhere.
- Note: Collaborations between Global South scholars and other researchers (including US-based collaborators) are eligible to apply for this grant; however projects must be clearly led by a Global South-based scholar, and if funds are awarded, the funds will be transferred directly to the Global South-based applicant and not the non-Global South researchers.
- Note: Applications from unaffiliated researchers are not eligible (i.e., those who do not study, teach, or conduct research at a university, international institution, center, or government department).
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding eligibility.
- Grant recipients will be required to secure necessary research approvals where appropriate (e.g., IRB approval must be acquired unless there exists an explicit and legal reason for exemption and such approval must be shared for any primary data collection prior to the start of data collection).
- Note: EGAP has developed a set of protocols for the ethical implementation of field research during the pandemic. All research proposals submitted for this call must be able to demonstrate that they meet the safety standards established in the protocols. Please review the documents and ensure your compliance to the guidelines prior to submitting a proposal. Applicants for the COVID-19 Small Grants Fund will be asked to complete the protocol forms by January 6th to be eligible for funding.