APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 31, 2021 AT 5:00PM PST!
The Evidence in Governance and Politics (EGAP) Latin America Regional Hub is soliciting proposals for quantitative field studies on the theme of displacement, migration, and integration. We aim to fund 3-5 grants up to USD $15,000 each to teams led by principal investigators based in / from Latin America that will conduct research in a Latin American country. A critical feature of the grant is that it seeks to fund quantitative research (e.g., surveys, field experiments, or large-N analysis of administrative data) in Latin America that may lead to an accumulated understanding of promising governance or civil society-led innovations in this area of study. We are especially interested in proposals for formative research that can then inform future larger-scale collaborative studies between researchers and practitioner organizations, including NGOs, civil society organizations, or government agencies.
Grant Size and Eligibility
- EGAP LATAM will award:
- Up to USD $15,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and are currently enrolled in a PhD program or in possession of a PhD and/or have prior experience leading research projects with similar levels of funding (please highlight relevant experience in your CV). Note that proposals with budgets less than USD $15,000 will be favorably considered, with the possibility of awarding additional grants depending on availability.
- Up to USD $5,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and have completed a Master’s degree but are not currently enrolled in a PhD program or in possession of a PhD and have limited prior experience in leading research projects.
- Up to USD $2,000 for individuals who meet the below stated eligibility criteria and are currently pursuing a Master’s degree.
- Funding can be used to support the investigators’ time, travel and lodging associated with field research, research assistance, phone survey implementation costs, data purchase or storage, and other reasonable field research expenses.
- Eligibility is restricted to scholars based in / from Latin America. This refers to individuals who (a) currently hold a PhD and are employed or at a university or research institute in Latin America; (b) currently study at the doctoral level at a university or research institute in Latin America; or (c) received an undergraduate or graduate university degree from a Latin American university and are currently a graduate student, postdoc, or faculty elsewhere.
- Note: Collaborations between scholars based in / from Latin America and other researchers (including US-based collaborators) are eligible to apply for this grant; however projects must be clearly led by a scholar based in / from Latin America, and if funds are awarded, the funds will be transferred directly to the applicant based in / from Latin America and not the non-Latin American researchers.
- Note: Applications from unaffiliated researchers are not eligible (i.e., those who do not study, teach, or conduct research at a university, international institution, formally accredited research center, or government department).
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding eligibility.
- Grant recipients will be required to secure necessary research approvals where appropriate (e.g., IRB approval must be acquired unless there exists an explicit and legal reason for exemption and such approval must be shared for any primary data collection prior to the start of data collection).
Interested applicants should fill out and submit the following documents:
Note that application documents should be submitted in English where possible, but may be submitted in Spanish, if needed. Please see the RFP and application documents in Spanish below.
Send completed application documents to email@example.com by the submission deadline of 5:00 pm U.S. Pacific Time on Sunday, October 31, 2021.
In addition, Principal Investigators seeking to begin research funded by EGAP LATAM during the COVID-19 pandemic are required to fill out a form describing the nature of essential research, outlining the safety protocols that will be in place, and identifying key personnel required to support it. If you would like to submit the form with your application materials, you are welcome to do so, and can find it available here.